Speechify is the easiest way to listen to the world's information
. Articles on the web, documents in the cloud, books on your phone—we absorb the world's content and help our members listen to it on the go, at their own speed, with tools that make learning easier, deeper, and faster.
Or, put another way: what Spotify has done for audio entertainment we're doing for audio information. And whatever we're doing seems to be working: we're #1 in our category, profitable, and have hockey-stick growth.
As a core member of our Android team, you'll directly impact the lifeline of the business by building the foundation and supporting key features of our new Android app. This is a key role and ideal for someone who's either worked at a startup and built apps from scratch, or someone parachuting out of a big company that wants to get deeply involved in building a new and feature rich product.
We are a fully remote international startup, so this is not a typical 9-5 job, but rather a very dynamic role. Among the things you are expected to do: attending important meetings, handling critical issues (sometimes this happens during weekends) or cope with unexpected challenges. Some of the things you'll do:
- Owning major features and working closely with our design team - Take ownership of features inside the app and become responsible of delivering high quality features;
- Shape the future of our Android team;
- Own, maintain and improve reliability metrics for key features;
- Participate in discussions across different teams - Product, Design, Engineering;
- Review pull requests, and support other teammates;
- Take ownership of feature releases and provide nightly builds for the QA team.
To succeed here, you'll need:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience;
- Familiarity with Android components;
- Experience building or contributing to at least one Android app;
- Product design intuition and user empathy;
- Drive to push the boundaries of Android UI/UX;
- Understanding of the importance of tests and how to approach writing tests;
- Self-drive to improve the app and codebase above and beyond what's outlined in the spec;
- Rock solid experience with Kotlin, RxJava 2, Dagger 2, MVVM, Clean Architecture, Background Services, Constraint Layout;
- Experience in Agile Software Development, we run 2 week sprints and do biweekly releases
- Good communication skills.
- Experience building, maintaining, or otherwise contributing to open source projects;
- Great sense for design guidelines;
- Experience with Android Audio APIs.
Technologies we use:
- Kotlin Flow;
- Jetpack Navigation;
- Dagger 2;
- Custom Views, Canvas & Paint;
- Jetpack Compose.
- A fast-growing environment where you can help shape the culture;
- An entrepreneurial crew that supports risk, intuition, and hustle;
- A hands-off approach so you can focus and do your best work;
- The opportunity to make an impact in a transformative industry;
- A competitive salary, a collegiate atmosphere, and a commitment to building a great asynchronous culture.