How big will your impact be here?
You will be able to work on greenfield projects and shape core services that power Calliper. Here's some of what you will drive:
How can you grow in this role?
- Owning the end-to-end technology execution. From architecture and hosting to deployments and monitoring, you will be responsible for shipping product features end-to-end. You will also be able to guide us on core technology choices
- Setting up and optimising API integrations. Partnering with the data-science team to implement advanced data science models and analytics across the whole product and connecting us with new SaaS services
- Collaborating closely with product and design. You will be expected to contribute to the product roadmap, giving feedback on designs and providing critical insights on how any of those decisions impact our engineering architecture
- Speaking with customers. Everyone at Calliper is encouraged to join customer calls to learn more about the problems our customers face and how we can iterate our product to delight them.
A great Full Stack Engineer will be able to step up into a Team Lead role as the company scales. This means that you will have the opportunity to:
What are we looking for in you?
- Get more involved in hiring and building a world-class, global engineering team
- Coach and mentor team members from many different backgrounds to grow in both their technical and leadership skills
- Enhance deployment processes across security, data pipelines and CI/CD, to allow us to be faster, more secure and robust
- Work on the longer-term strategic vision of Calliper, communicating with senior leadership, product management and operations
What makes engineering at Calliper different?
- Mission-driven. We are looking for missionaries, not mercenaries. Empowering teams with better data insights and enabling more cross-functional collaboration is something we are deeply passionate about
- Excited by the culture we are building. Culture is very important to us, and we want you to be committed to working hard to help us create a long-lasting, high-performance culture
- CS Degree? Bootcamp? Self Taught? Whatever... We aren't precious about titles, and whilst a traditional engineering background might be great, so will many others. The important thing is you love to ship high-quality products fast and can't live without getting user feedback
- Customer-centric. You enjoy speaking directly with customers and understanding their problems. You share your work early, whether it's a draft of a proposal or the MVP of a customer-facing feature. You're happy putting something out there when it's "70% done"
- Some startup experience. You should be aware of what you're getting yourself in for with an early-stage company. Things can be intense and stressful and then thrilling and euphoric all in the same day, so you need to be ready for the emotional rollercoaster. Also, you are comfortable when faced with a lot of ambiguity, both technically and organisationally. You're happy to tackle problems without a clear definition or solution
What is the stack you will start with?
- Distinct and strong engineering culture. We're basing this on a handful of principles we've committed to as a team. Most importantly, we want everyone to have a voice in defining and evolving our engineering culture
- Exciting data and machine learning challenges. As a data company, we're always trying to push the quality bar and impact of the algorithms we develop for our customers. However, it's not just about the quality of data science, we also work really hard to package them in sleek, interactive and low latency product experiences
- Protected deep work sessions. Throughout the week we make time to shield the team from distractions and reactive work. Close Slack and turn off your notifications and ship some high-quality work
- Strong advocation for great developer experience. We like using services that take care of undifferentiated work. Obviously, there are a handful of areas of the product where we need to build something custom ourselves, but in most cases, we are happy to pay for what's already tried and tested
- No BS. No ego. Just direct communication and an honest search for truth. We want to always be improving as a team and individuals, so we leave ego at the door and always try to be intellectually honest
- Tight processes, clear goals and limited chaos. We are considerate and intentional with what we are building, so we always have a clear view of the roadmap and priorities. Startups are hard enough we don't want to do crazy pivots every month
- You can learn more about wider company culture here.
We are in the process of shipping an MVP and made some intentional technical choices. Currently, we are working with the following technologies:
What perks can you expect if you join us?
- Python + FastAPI
- Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch
- React, Typescript
We're not Google but want to provide you with everything you need to feel productive and empowered to operate at your best.
How will the recruitment process work?
- Remote-First – We love working together and getting together but are remote-first as a policy. Work anywhere in a European timezone.
- 4 Weeks Holiday Minimum – We encourage and enforce team members to take time away from work. No holiday limit exists but recommend 4-6 weeks per year.
- Personal Goals Support – Up to £500 funding per year is offered to pursue personal growth or wellness projects (from marathons to meditation camps).
- Home Office Budget – Get the best computer, desk, chair, headphones, or whatever else you need to work from home comfortably with a generous budget.
- Lunch & Learn Tuesdays – Have lunch with us every Tuesday, with great talks from colleagues and industry leaders.
- Bi-Annual Adventures – Twice a year we do a stimulating team-building activity to evolve and grow as a team. This could be anything from climbing a mountain to a treasure hunt.
We're excited to meet you!
We're mindful and respectful of your time, so we want to be as upfront as possible on how things will work. Please note, that we are also open to doing a short project where we can work with you as a consultant/freelancer so we can get to know each other better.
- Getting to know each other (45mins). We can tell you more about us and the role, and we want to learn more about your background, ambitions and values. This is as much about selling ourselves to you as you telling us how awesome you are.
- Take home task (8-12 hours over a week). What better way to find out if we would enjoy working together than actually working together. We will give you an open-ended, fun task to showcase your skills and collaborate with us on a practical take-home task.
- A technical deep-dive. (90-120mins). We want to give you a taste of some of the technical challenges we have ahead of us and give you a chance to show off how you would tackle them. We will start from a case study review and dive deeper into a bit of live coding(no algorithms!) and systems design. This is your time to shine!
- Meet the Team (30mins). Now that we have established that you have not only the potential to be a strong cultural fit, but also are a proficient and pragmatic engineer, this will be a chance for you to meet the wider team and get to know your potential future colleagues.
- Final Conversation (45-90mins). A final opportunity to review whether everyone is happy with the fit and discuss salary and equity options.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We believe that our team is stronger with a variety of perspectives, and we're eager to further diversify our company. If you have a background that you feel would make an impact at Calliper, please consider applying. We're committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.Here are some extra resources to better evaluate if Calliper can be a great fit for you: